Going Green And Upcycling




Recently our son J, gave He a gift of Lucky Buddha Beer imported from China. I was told that the beer itself was deliciously light and refreshing. Now, except for being happy for the giver and receiver, the quality of the beer was of no concern to me, as I don't drink beer. But the bottle the beer came in was another story altogether.

Lucky Buddha bottle cap


Upcycling a green beer bottle

I was immediately attracted to the gorgeous jade green of the glass as the light shone through it.Then my eyes fell to the front of the bottle where I discovered a wonderful embossed depiction of a laughing Buddha.

 Upcycling a bottle that has a buddha on the front

I wanted to be able to inspect the bottle closely, and sat waiting impatiently for He to finish drinking its contents. As I watched him savour each slow mouth full, it dawned on me just how rude I was being. Sitting there with my eyes glued to the bottle, interfering in the enjoyment of his gift. So I guiltily vacated the room to ponder what use I could make of the bottle when it was empty.

A bottle that is to be upcycled

She joined me at this point and had many creative suggestions for its use.
It could be a vase she prompted, or a personal water bottle, what about a container for one of our home made facial toners! Or just a decor piece sitting around looking interesting.

She and Me Blog


Later that day when I was assured that He was happy for me to have the bottle, I happily inspected it  and my findings only added to my fondness for the chubby little green bottle. Just above the Buddha, on the neck of the bottle was the word Lucky printed in gold.Underneath the bottle on its base were the Chinese symbols for Luck, Good Fortune, Longevity and Happiness. I presumed these were placed on the underneath so that every time the drinker lifted the bottle they would actually be making a lovely toast!

A lucky beer bottle


Chinese symbols on bottom of bottle

I really had to admire the makers and marketers of this product.Along with the  previously described assets of the bottle, the packaging the beer came in had an inspiring spiel about all natural ingredients and pristine water of the 1000 island lake.

I was curious enough to look into its production a little, and found that it was actually and Australian company! The beer had originally been brewed here in Australia.Though later, for a number of reasons the owners moved the production to China. Such as the availability of master brewers etc, I was glad to know it was not only for monetary reasons.

And so what did I do with the laughing Buddha?
Well I took one of these.....

Beer bottle used for olive oil bottle

And made it into an olive oil bottle for our kitchen!
How simple was that.

Upcycled beer bottle used an olive oil bottle

I just used the spout from my existing oil bottle, but you can purchase them in pairs for a few dollars from discount or kitchen stores. The bottle does have writing on the back, which you can remove with CLR. I am unsure about how environmental the product is so I haven't removed the writing as yet.If you are interested here is a link on how to do it.

I have another bottle now from someone else, I did think of making a matching set of oil and vinegar, but I rather like the individual look.The second bottle sits on the other side of kitchen near the sink and its use is varied. Sometimes it holds herbs or a home made herbal disinfectant rinse for my hands. I did think of using it as a dish liquid bottle, but worried about any mix ups! If I get tired of the oil bottle that might just be my next choice.

Clearly all the symbols where in action. He had the good fortune of receiving a nice gift, I felt lucky to be able to up-cycle such a lovely bottle and J who is studying for a degree in Environmental Science was happy that the giant footprint of the imported beer was reduced somewhat by the reuse of the bottle. And the memory of the gift itself has longevity, whenever the bottle is looked at. It really is Lucky Beer!

up-cycled beer bottle used for olive oil pourer

I am obviously not the only admirer of this cute bottle. As you can see from these links, and many more ideas out there.


If you would like to have one or more Buddha bottles yourself, they are very inexpensive at around $3.50 each or $18.00 AU a six pack. (ten green bottles hanging on the wall ;)

Let us know what you think of the up-cycle, or tell us your own ideas for reusing or up cycling the Buddha bottle.


Me.    








 



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment